|This article or section is a lore stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
The term planet (sometimes referred to as world) is a geographical category. Planets exist in the Great Dark Beyond, which is what we would call "outer space".
The term "world" generally refers to Azeroth itself, other worlds are generally referred to by their names in context to Azeroth.
In geographical hierarchy, worlds contain continents.
- Argus, the homeworld of the eredar race of magic-wielders and their exiled brethren called the draenei.
- Azeroth, the world where most of the action of the Warcraft universe is set.
- Draenor was the homeworld of the orcs, ogres, and other species, and a sanctuary of the draenei. It was destroyed in a cataclysm, becoming Outland.
- Outland The remains of Draenor have become the extradimensional realm of Outland.
- Xoroth, the homeworld of the dreadsteeds (and possibly the nathrezim and tothrezim).
- Xerrath was a world destroyed by the Burning Legion as a show of power during the enslavement of Xoroth.
Some worlds exist in the Warcraft universe that have not yet been named. Most often we know of their existence because of creatures coming from those worlds.
- Homeworld of:
- Nathrezim (theorized to be Xoroth)
- Tothrezim (theorized to be Xoroth )
- Voidwalker (if they are not the remains of the Shadows of creation)
- Silithid (if not native to Azeroth)
In the novel The Last Guardian, the orcs are said to come from a planet (Draenor) on the far side of the Dark Beyond. The sky looked rusty due to the red sun there. However, there is also evidence that Azeroth and Draenor may be in the same star system, as Azeroth can be seen from the courtyard of the Black Temple. It may be a portal or the like since Draenor may be completely in the Twisting Nether (which can be used to pass between points in the universe easily). In the World of Warcraft The Burning Crusade Official Strategy Guide, Azeroth is said to be the "closest habitable world" to Draenor.
Travel between worlds
The only known means of traveling between worlds is through the use of magic, advanced technology, or through the Twisting Nether. These include:
- Dimensional Gateways, such as the Dark Portal.
- Dimensional Ships, such as Tempest Keep
- Well of Eternity (and by extension, the Sunwell).
- Other portals fueled by various forms of magic.
*A portion or version of this article was copied from a WoWWiki archived page ( April-11-2015 ) . See list of authors.
- Twisting Nether
- Great Dark