- This article has been tagged among the Pages that need revision.
This is an article on Paladin abilities. Nearly all of the Paladin's abilities are mana-based and are split into three disciplines.
- Includes all healing spells, supportive seals, and spells.
- Includes spells that protect yourself and others.
- Includes most damage-related skills.
Mists of Pandaria
For talent-granted abilities, see Paladin talents.
|Crusader Strike||Starts with||An instant strike that causes 125% weapon damage plus X.|
|Parry||Starts with||Gives a chance to parry enemy melee attacks.|
|Seal of Command||3||Fills you with Holy Light, causing melee attacks to deal 10% additional Holy damage.|
|Judgment||5||A magic attack that unleashes the energy of a Seal to cause X Holy damage.|
|Hammer of Justice||7||Stuns the target for 6 sec.|
|Word of Glory||9||Consumes up to 3 Holy Power to heal a friendly target for X per charge of Holy Power.|
|Righteous Fury||12||Increases your threat generation while active, making you a more effective tank.|
|Redepemption||13||Brings a dead ally back to life with 35% of maximum health and mana. Cannot be cast when in combat.|
|Flash of Light||14||A quick, expensive heal that heals a friendly target for X.|
|Reckoning||15||Taunts the target to attack you, but has no effect if the target is already attacking you.|
|Lay on Hands||16||Heals a friendly target for an amount equal to your maximum health. Cannot be used on a target with Forbearance. Causes Forbearance for 1 min.|
|Divine Shield||18||Protects you from all damage and spells for 8 sec, but reduces all damage you deal by 50%. Cannot be used on a target with Forbearance. Causes Forbearance for 1 min.|
|Cleanse||20||Cleanses a friendly target, removing all Poison and Disease effects.|
|Seal of Truth||24||Fills you with Holy Light, causing melee attacks to deal 12% additional Holy damage and apply Censure to the target. Replaces Seal of Command.|
Censure: Deals X additional Holy damage over 15 sec. Stacks up to 5 times.
|Divine Protection||26||Reduces magical damage taken by 40% for 10 sec.|
|Blessing of Kings||30||Places a Blessing on the friendly target, increasing Strength, Agility, and Intellect by 5%. If the target is in your party or raid, all party and raid members will be affected. Players may only have one Blessing on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Seal of Insight||32||Fills you with Holy Light, increasing your casting speed by 10%, improving healing spells by 5% and giving melee attacks a chance to heal you for X and restore 4% of base mana.|
|Supplication||34||For 8 sec after you kill an enemy that yields experience or honor, your next Flash of Light will be a critical.|
|Rebuke||36||Interrupts spellcasting and prevents any spell in that school from being cast for 4 sec.|
|Hammer of Wrath||38||Hurls a magical hammer that strikes an enemy for X Holy damage. Only usable on enemies that have 20% or less health.|
|Seal of Righteousness||42||Fills you with Holy Light, causing melee attacks to deal 6% weapon damage to all targets within 8 yards.|
|Heart of the Crusader||44||Increases your mounted speed by 20%. This does not stack with other movement speed increasing effects.|
|Turn Evil||46||The power of the Light compels an Undead or Demon target to flee for up to 40 sec. Only one target can be turned at a time.|
|Hand of Protection||48||Places a Hand on a party or raid member, protecting them from all physical attacks for 10 sec, but during that time they cannot attack or use physical abilities. Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time. Cannot be used on a target with Forbearance. Causes Forbearance for 1 min.|
|Hand of Freedom||52||Places a Hand on the friendly target, granting immunity to movement impairing effects for 6 sec. Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Sanctity of Battle||58||Melee haste effects lower the cooldown and global cooldown of your Judgment, Crusader Strike, and Hammer of Wrath.|
|Devotion Aura||60||Inspire all party and raid members within 40 yards, granting them immunity to Silence and Interrupt effects and reducing all magic damage taken by 20%. Lasts 6 sec.|
|Hand of Salvation||66||Places a Hand on the party or raid member, reducing their total threat by 2% every 1 sec for 10 sec. Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Avenging Wrath||72||Increases all damage and healing caused by 20% for 20 sec.|
|Hand of Scarifice||80||Places a Hand on a party or raid member, transferring 30% damage taken to the Paladin. Lasts 12 sec or until the Paladin has transferred 100% of their maximum health. Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Blessing of Might||81||Places a Blessing on the friendly target, increasing mastery by X. If the target is in your party or raid, all party and raid members will be affected. Players may only have one Blessing on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Boundless Conviction||85||You may store an additional 2 Holy Power beyond the maximum of 3. No ability ever consumes more than 3 Holy Power.|
|Blinding Light||87||Emits a dazzling light in all directions, blinding enemies within 10 yards, causing them to wander disoriented for 6 sec.|
|Holy Insight||10||Increases the effectiveness of your healing by 25%. Increases your mana pool by 400%. Allows 50% of your mana regeneration from Spirit to continue while in combat. Increases your chance to hit with Holy Shock, Judgment, and Denounce by 15%.|
|Denounce||20||Casts down the enemy with a bolt of Holy Light, causing X Holy damage and preventing the target from causing critical effects for the next 4 sec.|
|Sacred Cleansing||20||Your Cleanse spell now also dispels Magic effects.|
|Holy Radiance||28||Imbues a friendly target with radiant energy, healing that target for X and all allies within 10 yards for 50% of that amount. Grants a charge of Holy Power. Healing effectiveness diminishes for each player target beyond 6.|
|Holy Light||34||Heals a friendly target for X.|
|Beacon of Light||39||The target becomes a Beacon of Light to all party and raid members within 60 yards. Only one target can be the Beacon of Light at a time.|
Beacon of Light: Your Holy Light will also heal the Beacon for 100% of the amount healed. Your Holy Radiance, Light of Dawn, Light's Hammer, and Holy Prism will heal for 15% of the amount healed. All other heals will heal for 50% of the amount healed.
|Divine Plea||46||You gain 12% of your total mana over 9 sec, but the amount healed by your healing spells is reduced by 50%.|
|Infusion of Light||50||Your Holy Shock critical effects reduce the cast time of your next Holy Light, Divine Light, or Holy Radiance by 1.50 sec.|
|Divine Light||54||A large heal that heals a friendly target for X. Good for periods of heavy damage.|
|Daybreak||56||After casting Holy Radiance, your next Holy Shock will also heal other allies within 10 yards of the target for an amount equal to the original healing done, divided evenly among all targets.|
|Divine Favor||62||Increases your spell casting haste by 20% and spell critical chance by 20% for 20 sec.|
|Tower of Radiance||64||Healing the target of your Beacon of Light with Flash of Light or Divine Light has a 100% chance to generate a charge of Holy Power.|
|Light of Dawn||70||Consumes up to 3 Holy Power to emanate a wave of healing energy, healing up to 6 of the most injured targets in your party or raid within 30 yards for X per charge of Holy Power.|
|Guardian of Ancient Kings||75||Summons a Guardian of Ancient Kings to help you heal for 30 sec. The Guardian of Ancient Kings will heal the target of your next 5 single-target heals, and nearby friendly targets for 10% of the amount healed. Every time the Guardian heals, it increases your haste by 10%.|
|Mastery: Illuminated Healing||80||Your direct healing spells also place an absorb shield on your target for 12% of the amount healed lasting 15 sec.|
|Avenger's Shield||10||Hurls your shield at an enemy target, dealing X Holy damage, silencing and interrupting spellcasting for 3 sec, and then jumping to additional nearby enemies. Affects 3 total targets.|
|Guarded by the Light||10||Increases your total Stamina by 15% and your block chance by 10%. Reduces the chance you will be critically hit by melee attacks by 6%. Word of Glory is no longer on the global cooldown. Your spell power is now equal to 50% of your attack power, and you no longer benefit from other sources of spell power. Grants 6% of your maximum mana every 2 sec.|
|Vengeance||10||Each time you take damage, you gain 2% of the unmitigated damage taken as attack power for 20 sec.|
|Hammer of the Righteous||20||Hammer the current target for 20% weapon damage, causing a wave of light that hits all targets within 8 yards for 35% Holy weapon damage and applying the Weakened Blows effect. Grants a charge of Holy Power.|
Weakened Blows: Demoralizes the target, reducing their physical damage dealt by 10% for 30 sec.
|Holy Wrath||20||Sends bolts of power in all directions, causing X Holy damage divided among all enemies within 10 yards, stunning Demons and Undead for 3 sec.|
|Judgments of the Wise||28||Your Judgment hits grant one charge of Holy Power.|
|Consecration||34||Consecrates the land beneath you, causing X Holy damage over 9 sec to enemies who enter the area.|
|Shield of the Righteous||40||Instantly slam the target with your shield, causing X Holy damage, reducing the physical damage you take by 30% for 3 sec, and causing Bastion of Glory.|
Bastion of Glory: Increases the strength of your Word of Glory when used to heal yourself by 10%. Stacks up to 5 times.
|Grand Crusader||50||Your Crusader Strike and Hammer of the Righteous hits have a 20% chance of refreshing the cooldown on your next Avenger's Shield and causing it to generate a charge of Holy Power if used within 6 sec.|
|Sanctuary||64||Decreases damage taken by 15%, increases armor value from items by 10%, and increases your chance to dodge by 2%.|
|Ardent Defender||70||Reduce damage taken by 20% for 10 sec. While Ardent Defender is active, the next attack that would otherwise kill you will instead cause you to be healed for 15% of your maximum health.|
|Guardian of Ancient Kings||75||Summons a Guardian of Ancient Kings to protect you for 12 sec. The Guardian of Ancient Kings reduces damage taken by 50%.|
|Mastery: Divine Bulwark||80||Increases the damage reduction of your Shield of the Righteous by 8%, adds 8% to your Bastion of Glory, and increases your chance to block melee attacks by 8%.|
|Templar's Verdict||10||A powerful weapon strike that consumes 3 charges of Holy Power to deal 275% weapon damage plus X.|
|Sword of Light||10||Increases the damage you deal with two-handed melee weapons by 10%. Your spell power is now equal to 50% of your attack power, and you no longer benefit from other sources of spell power. Grants 6% of your maximum mana every 2 sec. Increases the healing done by Word of Glory and Flash of Light by 30%.|
|Hammer of the Righteous||20||Hammer the current target for 20% weapon damage, causing a wave of light that hits all targets within 8 yards for 35% Holy weapon damage and applying the Weakened Blows effect. Grants a charge of Holy Power.|
Weakened Blows: Demoralizes the target, reducing their physical damage dealt by 10% for 30 sec.
|Judgments of the Bold||28||Your Judgment hits grant one charge of Holy Power and cause the Physical Vulnerability effect.|
Physical Vulnerability: Weakens the constitution of an enemy target, increasing their physical damage taken by 4% for 30 sec.
|Divine Storm||34||An area attack that consumes 3 charges of Holy Power to cause 100% weapon damage as Holy damage to all enemies within 8 yards.|
|Exorcism||46||Forcefully attempt to expel the evil from the target with a blast of Holy Light. Causes X Holy damage and generates a charge of Holy Power.|
|The Art of War||50||Your autoattacks have a 20% chance of resetting the cooldown of your Exorcism.|
|Emancipate||54||Unshackles your spirit, freeing you from one movement impairing effect.|
|Seal of Justice||70||Fills you with Holy Light, causing melee attacks to deal 16% additional Holy damage and reduce the target's movement speed by 50% for 8 sec.|
|Guardian of Ancient Kings||75||Summons a Guardian of Ancient Kings to help you deal damage for 30 sec. The Guardian of Ancient Kings will attack your current enemy. Both your attacks and the attacks of the Guardian will infuse you with Ancient Power that is unleashed as Ancient Fury when the Guardian departs.|
|Mastery: Hand of Light||80||Your Crusader Strike, Hammer of the Righteous, Hammer of Wrath, Templar's Verdict and Divine Storm deal 15% additional damage as Holy damage.|
|Inquisition||81||Consumes up to 3 Holy Power to increase your Holy Damage by 30% and critical strike chance by 10%. Lasts 10 sec per charge of Holy Power consumed.|
|Contemplation||Glyph of Contemplation||Allows you a moment of peace as you kneel in quiet contemplation to ponder the nature of the Light.|
Pre-Mists of Pandaria
These abilities are available to all Paladins, at the appropriate level, regardless of Talents.
|Crusader Strike||Starts with||Retribution||An instant strike that causes 100% weapon damage and grants a charge of Holy Power.|
|Judgement||3||Retribution||Unleashes the energy of a Seal to judge an enemy for $d Holy damage.|
|Seal of Righteousness||3||Protection||Fills the Paladin with holy spirit for 30 min, granting each single-target melee attack (MWS * (0.011 * AP.022 * holy power)) additional Holy damage. Only one Seal can be active on the Paladin at any one time.|
|Devotion Aura||5||Protection||Gives X additional armor to party and raid members within 40 yards. Players may only have one Aura on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Hammer of Justice||7||Protection||Stuns the target for 6 sec.|
|Word of Glory||9||Holy||Consumes all Holy Power to heal a friendly target for X per charge of Holy Power.|
|Parry||10||Protection||Gives a chance to parry enemy melee attacks.|
|Righteous Fury||12||Protection||Increases your threat generation while active, making you a more effective tank. Lasts until cancelled.|
|Hand of Reckoning||14||Protection||Taunts the target to attack you, but has no effect if the target is already attacking you.|
|Holy Light||14||Holy||Heals a friendly target for X.|
|Flash of Light||16||Holy||A quick, expensive heal that heals a friendly target for X.|
|Lay on Hands||16||Holy||Heals a friendly target for an amount equal to the Paladin's maximum health and restores X of their mana. If used on self, the Paladin cannot be targeted by Divine Shield, Divine Protection, Hand of Protection, or self-targeted Lay on Hands again for 2 min.|
|Exorcism||18||Holy||Causes X Holy damage to an enemy target. If the target is Undead or Demon, it will always critically hit.|
|Hand of Protection||18||Protection||A targeted party or raid member is protected from all physical attacks for 10 sec, but during that time they cannot attack or use physical abilities. Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time. Once protected, the target cannot be targeted by Divine Shield, Divine Protection, or Hand of Protection again for 2 min.|
|Blessing of Kings||22||Protection||Places a Blessing on the friendly target, increasing Strength, Agility, Stamina, and Intellect by 5%, and all magical resistances by (cond($lte(level, 70), level / 2, cond($lte(level, 80), level / 2 + (level) / 2 * 5, level / 2 + (level) / 2 * 5 + (level) / 2 * 7)) - 0.5), for 1 hour. If target is in your party or raid, all party and raid members will be affected. Players may only have one Blessing on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Consecration||24||Holy||Consecrates the land beneath the Paladin, doing (8 * (0 + 0.027 * holy power.027 * AP)) Holy damage over 10 sec to enemies who enter the area.|
|Retribution Aura||26||Retribution||Causes X Holy damage to any enemy that strikes a party or raid member within 40 yards. Players may only have one Aura on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Holy Wrath||28||Holy||Sends bolts of holy power in all directions, causing (0.3 * holy power + X) Holy damage divided among all targets within 10 yds and stunning all Demons and Undead for 3 sec.|
|Redemption||28||Holy||Brings a dead ally back to life with 35% of maximum health and mana. Cannot be cast when in combat.|
|Divine Protection||30||Protection||Reduces all damage taken by 20% for 10 sec.|
|Seal of Insight||32||Holy||Fills the Paladin with divine power for 30 min, giving each single-target melee attack a chance to heal the Paladin for (0.15 * AP.15 * holy power) and restore 4% of the paladin's maximum mana. Only one Seal can be active on the Paladin at any one time.|
Unleashing this Seal's energy will deal (1 + 0.25 * holy power.16 * AP) Holy damage to an enemy.
|Cleanse||34||Holy||Cleanses a friendly target, removing 1 Poison effect and 1 Disease effect.|
|Righteous Defense||36||Protection||Come to the defense of a friendly target, commanding up to 3 enemies attacking the target to attack the Paladin instead.|
|Concentration Aura||42||Holy||All party or raid members within 40 yards lose 35% less casting or channeling time when damaged. Players may only have one Aura on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Divine Plea||44||Holy||You gain 10% of your total mana over 15 sec, but the amount healed by your healing spells is reduced by 50%.|
|Seal of Truth||44||Retribution||Fills the Paladin with holy power, causing single-target attacks to Censure the target, which deals ((0.013 * holy power.025 * AP) * 5) additional Holy damage over 15 sec. Censure can stack up to 5 times. Once stacked to 5 times, each of the Paladin's attacks also deals 16% weapon damage as additional Holy damage. Only one Seal can be active on the Paladin at any one time. Lasts 30 min.|
Unleashing this Seal's energy will deal (1 + 0.22 * holy power.14 * AP) Holy damage to an enemy, increased by 10% for each application of Censure on the target.
|Hammer of Wrath||46||Retribution||Hurls a hammer that strikes an enemy for 1254+0.15*holy power.15*AP to 1384+0.15*holy power.15*AP Holy damage. Only usable on enemies that have 20% or less health.|
|Divine Shield||48||Protection||Protects the paladin from all damage and spells for 8 sec, but reduces all damage you deal by 50%. Once protected, the target cannot be targeted by Divine Shield, Divine Protection, or Hand of Protection again for 2 min.|
|Plate Specialization||50||General||Grants a 5% increase to your primary attribute for wearing plate in all armor slots.|
Increases your primary attribute by 5% while wearing Plate in all armor slots. Holy specialization grants Intellect, Protection specialization grants Stamina, and Retribution specialization grants Strength.
|Hand of Freedom||52||Protection||Places a Hand on the friendly target, granting immunity to movement impairing effects for 6 sec. Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Blessing of Might||56||Retribution||Places a Blessing on the friendly target, increasing attack power by 10% and restoring X mana every 5 seconds for 1 hour. If target is in your party or raid, all party and raid members will be affected. Players may only have one Blessing on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Crusader Aura||62||Retribution||Increases the mounted speed by 20% for all party and raid members within 40 yards. Players may only have one Aura on them per Paladin at any one time. This does not stack with other movement speed increasing effects.|
|Divine Light||62||Holy||A large heal that heals a friendly target for X. Good for periods of heavy damage.|
|Seal of Justice||64||Protection||Fills the Paladin with the spirit of justice for 30 min, causing each single-target melee attack to limit the target's maximum run speed for 5 sec and deal (MWS * (0.005 * AP.01 * holy power)) additional Holy damage. Only one Seal can be active on the Paladin at any one time.|
Unleashing this Seal's energy will deal (1 + 0.25 * holy power.16 * AP) Holy damage to an enemy.
|Hand of Salvation||66||Protection||Places a Hand on the party or raid member, reducing their total threat by 2% every 1 sec. for 10 sec. Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Avenging Wrath||72||Retribution||Increases all damage and healing caused by 20% for 20 sec.|
|Resistance Aura||76||Protection||Gives (cond($lte(level, 70), level, cond($lte(level, 80), level + (level) * 5, level + (level) * 5 + (level) * 7))) additional Fire, Frost and Shadow resistance to all party and raid members within 40 yards. Players may only have one Aura on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Turn Evil||78||Holy||The targeted undead or demon enemy will be compelled to flee for up to 20 sec. Damage caused may interrupt the effect. Only one target can be turned at a time.|
|Hand of Sacrifice||80||Protection||Places a Hand on the party or raid member, transfering 30% damage taken to the caster. Lasts 12 sec or until the caster has transfered 100% of their maximum health. Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time.|
|Mastery||80||N/A||Allows you to benefit from mastery rating. Check your talent overview pane for additional details.|
|Inquisition||81||Retribution||Consumes all Holy Power to increase your Holy Damage by 30%. Lasts 4 sec per charge of Holy Power consumed.|
|Holy Radiance||83||Holy||Heals all friendly targets within 10 yards for X every sec. Lasts 10 sec.|
|Guardian of Ancient Kings||85||Protection||Select a talent specialization in order to activate Guardian of Ancient Kings.|
Talent Granted Abilities
Rank 1 in these abilities is only unlocked by purchasing them from the appropriate Talent tree. Ranks 2 and beyond can then be purchased from the Paladin Trainer as normal.
|Holy Shock||Holy 0||Blasts the target with Holy energy, causing X Holy damage to an enemy, or Y healing to an ally.|
|Divine Favor||Holy 10||When activated, gives your next Flash of Light, Holy Light, or Holy Shock spell a 100% critical effect chance.|
|Beacon of Light||Holy 15||The target becomes a Beacon of Light to all members of your party or raid within a 60 yard radius. Any heals you cast on party or raid members will also heal the Beacon for 50% of the amount healed. Only one target can be the Beacon of Light at a time. Lasts 5 mins.|
|Aura Mastery||Holy 20||Causes your Concentration Aura to make all affected targets immune to Silence and Interrupt effects and improve the effect of all other auras by 100%. Lasts 6 sec.|
|Light of Dawn||Holy 30||Consumes all Holy Power to send a wave of healing energy before you, healing up to 5 of the most injured targets in your party or raid within a 30 yard frontal cone for X per charge of Holy Power.|
|Avenger's Shield||Protection 0||Hurls a holy shield at the enemy, dealing X Holy damage, Dazing them and then jumping to additional nearby enemies. Affects 3 total targets. Lasts 10 sec.|
|Hammer of the Righteous||Protection 10||Hammer the current target and up to 2 additional nearby targets, causing 4 times your main hand damage per second as Holy damage.|
|Shield of the Righteous||Protection 15
|Slam the target with your shield, causing Holy damage. Consumes all charges of Holy Power to determine damage dealt.|
|Divine Guardian||Protection 20||All party or raid members within 30 yards, excluding the Paladin, take 20% reduced damage for 6 sec.|
|Ardent Defender||Protection 30||Reduce damage taken by 20% for 10 sec. While Ardent Defender is active, the next attack that would otherwise kill you will instead cause you to be healed for 15% of your maximum health.|
|Templar's Verdict||Retribution 0||An instant weapon attack that causes a percentage of weapon damage. Consumes all applications of Holy Power to increase damage dealt.|
|Divine Storm||Retribution 10||An instant weapon attack that causes 110% of weapon damage to up to 4 enemies within 8 yards. The Divine Storm heals up to 3 party or raid members totaling 25% of the damage caused.|
|Sacred Shield||Retribution 15||When reduced below 30% health, you gain the Sacred Shield effect. The Sacred Shield absorbs ((1) + (AP * 2.8)) damage and increases healing received by 20%. Lasts 15 sec. This effect cannot occur more than once every 60 sec.|
|Repentance||Retribution 20||Puts the enemy target in a state of meditation, incapacitating them for up to 1 min (6 seconds for PvP), and removing the effect of Righteous Vengeance. Any damage caused will awaken the target. Usable against Demons, Dragonkin, Giants, Humanoids and Undead.|
|Zealotry||Retribution 30||Your Crusader Strike generates 3 charges of Holy Power per strike for the next 20 sec. Requires 3 Holy Power to use, but does not consume Holy Power.|
Abilities by Type
Auras are buffs that benefit the Paladin as well as raid and party members within 40 yards. There are a wide variety of Auras, but only one Aura can be activated on the Paladin at any one time. If there are other Paladins in the group, the same Aura's effects do not stack, but different Auras can be used to further strengthen the group. Changing Auras does not cost mana, but does trigger the global cooldown. Therefore it is not feasible to change Auras just to absorb a certain magic school (such as Devotion Aura to Shadow Resist Aura to absorb a single Shadowbolt), then reverting back to the previous one. These Auras are very much support buffs that make grouping easier, but they are not so vital that they are the key factor in determining whether the group will succeed or fail.
- The range of your Auras can be increased by an additional 10 yards with the 3-piece bonus from Judgement Armor.
- Increases armour by X. Armour bonus can be increased by up to 50% and increase healing done to the target by 6% withImproved Devotion Aura.
- This is the Paladin's first Aura. Classes with low armour will benefit from this aura the most as in some cases it will double the player's existing armour. This Aura will not mitigate magical damage.
- Reflects X Holy damage.
- Anyone under this Aura who is physically struck will reflect a fixed small amount of holy damage to the attacker. This is good against light and fast melee hitters or increasing damage output passively through reflective damage. Magical attacks will not reflect holy damage, nor will fully blocked, parried or dodged attacks. Note that partial blocks will reflect damage. This Aura can also be used for Paladin tanking provided damage mitigation is already high enough.
- Increases spell casting delay resistance by an additional 35%. Effects of the aura can be increased by 15% as well as reducing the duration of silence and interrupt effects by up to 30% via talents.
- This is a great Aura to have on when expected to heal in the fray. It is also highly beneficial to other spell casters and those who use lot of channeling spells. With spells that already have increased resistance to spell interruption, such as a Paladin healing with the talent Spiritual Focus or a Warlock using Hellfire with the Intensity talent, the effect of this Aura is added on, providing an uninterruptable cast/channel when chance to resist reaches 100%. In this case, only a stun, incapacitate or controlled spell interrupt can stop the spell.
- Note: When fully improved by talents, Concentration Aura will increase spell casting delay resistance by 50% and decrease the duration of silence and interrupt effects by 30%.
- Increases resistance to Shadow/Frost/Fire spells by 30, up to 130 over 5 ranks.
- Handy auras during encounters where massive shadow, frost or fire damage is unavoidable. These Aura does not stack with any other resistance-increasing effects such as Gift of the Wild or Prayer of Shadow Protection. If any spell resistance effects are on the target simultaneously, the resistance effect that provides the highest resistance will be used to calculate the total resistance.
- Increases mount speed by 20%, including flying mounts. The speed bonus does not stack with other speed enhancing effects, such as Carrot on a Stick or Riding Crop.
Paladins have a wide range of powerful Blessings, which provide 60 minute buffs. Like Auras, only one Blessing can affect a target per Paladin. This means two Paladins cannot cast the same Blessing on a target, but two different Blessings on a target is possible.
Note that Blessing of Salvation and Blessing of Light no longer exist as of Patch 3.0.2. Instead, Blessing of Salvation has been renamed Hand of Salvation and has had its mechanics changed while the effects of Blessing of Light have been folded into Holy Light and Flash of Light, increasing their base heal amount.
- This Blessing increases both melee and ranged attack power. It is useful for any physical DPS class.
- Increases total attributes by 10%
- This is an excellent blessing for tanks and good secondary Blessing to have for other members in group. It is also a powerful Blessing in PvP for its low-cost ability to increase a player's health. It increases all resilience by 32, Strength, Agility, and Stamina by 10%; secondary attributes such as attack power and defense are not directly affected. The increase of these base attributes, however, contributes to increases in most of the other secondary attributes. Since the increase is percentage-based, this Blessing scales well into end-game. Also, the increase is calculated after other attribute-increasing spells are counted, such as Prayer of Fortitude. If the class related Blessing(s) is already available from another Paladin, Blessing of Kings is an universial blessing that can benefit anyone.
Note that Patch 4.0.1 removed "Greater" Blessings, Blessing of Sanctuary, and Blessing of Wisdom from the game.
Hand spells replace the situational Blessings (Blessing of Protection, Blessing of Sacrifice, Blessing of Freedom and Blessing of Salvation). These were used in very situational events and applying them would overwrite the previous Blessing cast by the same Paladin, wasting mana and possibly Symbol of Kings in order to recast the previous Blessing. By separating these spells from Blessings, the Paladin can use these powerful spells without overwriting the standard Blessings. When used correctly, these Hand spell effects are very powerful, especially in a Player versus Player environment. Only one Hand spell can be cast per Paladin on a target at any one time.
- Protects the target from all physical attacks for 6 seconds, up to 10 seconds over 3 ranks. The player cannot physically attack with the spell active. The cooldown of this Hand spell can be decreased by up to 2 minutes through talents.
- Hand of Protection will protect any player from physical attacks, but in turn the player cannot physically attack. However spell-casting is still allowed. Due to this effect, this blessing is used on primary spell-casters being attacked by melee-only damage. Hand of Protection also removes any threat built up by the target for the duration of the Blessing. Once the spell fades, the threat is returned and the foe may return to its original target unless dealt with by another player. This Blessing causes the Forbearance effect.
Hand of Freedom (10 second duration, 25 second cooldown)
- Grants immunity to movement-impairing effects by 10 seconds. This hand can dispell stuns with the talents.
- This Hand spell is extremely powerful in PvP as it renders the snare-and-attack strategy used by some classes useless. It grants immunity from the effects of Frost Trap, Slow, Frost Nova and Earthbind Totem and other similar abilities. It also negates effects that increase melee swing duration such as Chilled. This spell does not negate daze effects.
Hand of Sacrifice (12 second duration, 2 minute cooldown, Group member only)
- Transfers 30% of damage taken from the target to yourself.
- This spell can be used to save an ally from taking too much damage. Although it can be used on a tank, your own hit points must be monitored as the damage can accumulate to a significant amount. Paladins using this spell should heal the damage they take themselves in a raid environment as other healers do not want to focus on another target.
Hand of Salvation (2 minute cooldown, Group member only)
- Reduces the target's threat by 2% each second for 10 seconds.
Judgements instantly cast a negative magic effect on the enemy target. Judgements have a 10 second cooldown. Only one Judgement debuff can be cast on an enemy by the same Paladin. Since Judgements are the basis of the Paladin's support system, they are highly used spells if the Paladin is utilizing melee potential.
The cooldown of Judgements can be reduced by Improved Judgement, the critical strike chance of Judgement can be increased by Fanaticism, and have up to a 100% chance to return 25% of base mana cost of the judged Seal with every Judgement via Judgements of the Wise.
- Applies a magical debuff on the target, preventing PvE targets from fleeing in fear in rank 1, with rank 2 also limiting PvP targets to 100% movement speed (running speed) for the duration of the debuff.
- In instances where enemies will flee at near-death to get reinforcements (often wiping a party), this Judgement will stop the target from running away, making this spell one of the most useful in the PvE environment. Targets with this debuff will also be immune from a crowd-control fear, so be mindful if fear effects are used for crowd-control. In a PvP environment, this Judgement is used to stop runners, primarily flag carriers in Warsong Gulch. It will limit player movement to running speed, therefore any gear with +% movement effects as well as various movement-increasing spells and forms will be negated.
- Applies a magical debuff on the target; upon physically striking the target, will have a chance to heal the attacker. The chance to heal can be increased by 10% with the Lawbringer Armor set bonus (3 pieces), and amount healed can be increased by 20 with the Justicar Raiment set bonus (2 pieces).
- This is an excellent support debuff in raids. The target must be hit by the player for this debuff to heal, and has a heal chance of 50% so fast-hitting characters such as Rogues will benefit most from this Judgement. Any improvements to the Judgement from various armour set bonuses will be shared with all players, not just the Paladin.
- Applies a magical debuff on the target; upon damaging the target, the attacker may gain X mana.
- Like Seal of Light, this is a valued support debuff for any group for classes that use mana. The player has to hit the target with this Judgement to have a chance of gaining mana. This Judgement shines on long boss encounters where mana preservation is important. Healers who wish to regenerate more mana can simply wand the target or auto-attack it; Paladins can also use Seal of Wisdom with auto-attack to regenerate even more. It has the same triggering rates as Judgement of Light.
Seals are Paladin self-buffs that modify the auto-attack. They are instant cast and last 30 minutes; only one Seal can be used by the Paladin at a time.
- Adds constant Holy damage per swing. The Holy damage dealt by this spell can be increased by up to 15% with Improved Seal of Righteousness.
- Note: The additional Holy damage cannot be estimated as it varies depending on weapon speed, attack power and spell power. The in-game tooltip values will change immediately as the Paladin changes weapon.
- Adds a constant amount of Holy damage per melee hit on the target. The extra damage may be small at lower levels, but a generous +spell damage coefficient can add a significant amount of damage per melee hit, often doubling melee damage output. This is a standard Seal to use for damage, and is commonly used for tanking at lower levels. Holy damage added by the Seal is normalised across all weapon speeds, with slower weapons adding more Holy damage per hit than faster ones. The benefit from spell power is not constant, but increases with slower weapon speed. Therefore slower weapons gain extra spell damage than fast ones, with a further bonus if the weapon is two-handed instead of one. The extra holy damage cannot crit. Can be superior to Seal of Vengeance for shorter fights or PvP, but if given time to stack, Vengeance will outperform Righteousness.
- Gives each melee hit a chance to stun the target for 2 seconds.
- Seal of Justice can act as an unreliable PvE interrupt against primary spell casters for those who are not immune to stun effects. It has limited use in PvP because of diminishing returns to the stun effect, rendering your Hammer of Justice spell useless after the target has been stunned three times from the seal. This seal will stun the enemy 4-5 times a minute.
- Gives each melee hit a chance to heal the Paladin.
- This Seal is useful if the Paladin requires healing without leaving melee combat. The amount healed from melee becomes respectable when used along with Judgement of Light. Protection Paladins use it most during AoE grinding. The chance to heal depends on the speed of the weapon; slower weapons have higher chances to heal than faster weapons. Spell power gear will not increase the amount healed.
- Gives each melee hit a chance to restore mana.
- This is an excellent Seal to use for regenerating mana, and is even more effective if Judgement of Wisdom is on the target. The chance to gain mana depends on the speed of the weapon; slower weapons have higher chances to heal than faster weapons.
- Leaves a stacking DoT debuff that deals holy damage and stacks to 5. In addition, deals 33% additional weapon damage as Holy after 5 stacks of the debuff with critical strikes dealling double damage.
- This Seal is for PvE Retribution. It is also ideal for tanking, but takes extra time to generate high levels of threat compared to Righteousness or Command. Depending on fight length, over time SoV will deal more damage than SoR, and shines on multiple-target tanking as the DoT component will continue to generate threat for the Paladin even when not focused on that target. The additional 33% Holy damage from a melee hit on a 5-stack Holy Vengeance/Blood Corruption-inflicted target can critically hit at melee critical damage, with critical rate equal to the Paladin's melee critical chance.
- Adds constant holy damage to each swing equal to 36% weapon damage to each swing. This holy damage will chain to two nearby enemies.
- Due to its chaining nature, this seal is best utilized in AoE situations where you need to deal damage to multiple targets at once. Alternatively, this seal is superior to Vengeance in fights where the Paladin won't have time to stack Holy Vengeance/Blood Corruption (i.e. trash fights). This Seal is also considered as melee damage, so it deals double the damage when it crits and is determined by melee critical strike chance. Since Patch 3.2.2, this Seal also procs its weapon damage on up to three adajcent targets.
- Heals the target for X to Y. The amount healed by this spell can be increased by up to 12% with Healing Light.
- Holy Light is the Paladin's biggest heal, offering good heal per second rate but at a relatively high mana cost. Holy Light is only used when the target needs a quick and strong heal, otherwise the Paladin will run out of mana very quickly. Holy talents help with the heavy mana cost, such as Illumination and Sanctified Light. Therefore, Holy Paladins will have a much easier time healing constantly with this spell than other specs. This spell also has a high spell power coefficient, so appropriate gear can improve efficiency further.
Flash of Light (1.5 second cast)
- Heals the target for X to Y. The amount healed by this spell can be increased by up to 12% via talents.
- Flash of Light is a quick heal that heals a small amount. Even though the amount it heals is low compared to the amount of time it needs to be cast, it is extremely mana efficient, more than Holy Light. It has a lower spell damage coefficient (100%) than Holy Light (166%), but in decent healing gear, continuously casting Flash of Light is a good way of healing effectively and very efficiently, using Holy Light when faster heals per casting time is required. This ability is obtained at level 20.
Lay on Hands (Instant cast, 20 minute cooldown)
- Heals the target equal to the the Paladin's maximum health and returns X mana. The cooldown of this ability can be decreased by up to 4 minutes, as well as cause the target to take 20% reduced physical damage for 30 seconds with Improved Lay on Hands.
- Lay on Hands is a last resort, instant cast heal that heals the target equal to the the Paladin's maximum health. Lay on Hands has a lengthy cooldown, but has the ability to save wipes or turn the tide of a losing battle. Higher ranks of this ability also return a small amount of mana to the target. Lay on Hands cannot be improved by healing gear, but can critically heal (Divine Favor will not work with Lay on Hands).
Holy Shock Talent only (level 40+) (Instant cast, 6 second cooldown)
- Heals a friendly target, or inflicts Holy damage on an enemy for X to Y.
- After changes to cooldown and range in Patch 3.0.2 Holy Shock is a very effective instant-cast heal. If used in conjunction with the talent Infusion of Light, Holy Shock is a very powerful tool. Holy Shock can also be used with Divine Favor for a critical heal with mana return from Illumination when used on a friendly target. If used against an enemy in which Holy Shock crits, no mana will be returned with Illumination. Note that both critical heals and critical damage will trigger Infusion of Light.
Righteous Fury (Instant cast)
- Righteous Fury is a self-buff that lasts until cancelled and increases all threat generated by your Holy spells by 80% and all threat generated by 43%. This has the interesting effect of increasing the threat of all holy spells by 157.4%. (For example, threat from dealing 100 holy damage would be the equivalent of threat from dealing ~257.4 damage to the target). Healing spells are Holy spells, so Righteous Fury should not be used by healers. Improved Righteous Fury reduces all damage taken by up to 6% while Righteous Fury is active.
Righteous Defense (Instant cast)(8 second cooldown)
- Cast it on a friendly target, commanding up to 3 enemies to attack you instead.
- Righteous Defense is a cost-free, long-range taunt. Similar to warriors' Taunt, Righteous Defense force the mobs to attack you for three seconds regardless of their threat list, at the same time give you the same threat level as the one with the highest threat on their threat list. Since patch 2.4, you can also cast Righteous Defense on an enemy mob, which will taunt the target mob plus two more mobs that are attacking target mob's target.
Hand of Reckoning (Instant cast)(8 second cooldown)
- Cast it on an enemy, dealing damage if it is not currently attacking you and if it is tauntable.
- A very useful tool for pulling due to its 30 yard range, and a paladin's only single-target taunt that does not rely on the enemy targeting something else.
Abilities by Function
Paladins have several protective blessings at their disposal for use on group members: Hand of Protection, which will temporarily protect a member from all physical damage; Hand of Sacrifice, which will send a small part of damage taken from the target player and send it to the paladin unmitigated; Hand of Freedom, which will make the target player immune to movement hampering effects; and Hand of Salvation, which will reduce the threat of the target player.
Seal Truth is the preferred seal to use when tanking. It takes a slightly longer time to build up threat than Seal of Righteousness but will eventually deal more Holy damage.
- Judgement of Light, Judgement of Wisdom and Judgement of Justice) are the primary debuffs.
- Holy Vengeance is a damage-over-time debuff that causes Holy damage on the target every 3 seconds, and its effect can be stacked up to 5 times. It is applied while attacking with Seal of Vengeance/Seal of Corruption active.
- Vindication is a passive ability talent obtained in the Paladin's Retribution tree. It reduces the target's attack power by 23/46 for 10 seconds.
Area of Effect & Damage over Time
Paladins have one universal AoE ability: Consecration. Holy Wrath is another paladin AoE ability (very effective against Undead and Demons). Consecration is also one of two of the Paladin's damage-over-time spells - the other being Holy Vengeance (from Seal of Truth).
Paladins are a melee Hybrid class, with no ability to use ranged weapons. They deal direct damage with weapons and also have damaging spells such as Exorcism, Holy Wrath and Holy Shock. There are various Seals, which deals holy damage with melee strike. When a Seal is active, Judgement spells can be used to do an amount of direct damage and apply a specific debuff to the mobs. Hammer of Wrath is a ranged spell usable on targets under 20% health and is instant cast; if the target heals or regenerates above 20% health at any time - even if the projectile is in flight - the spell will be cancelled.
Most of the paladin's damage is done within melee range. There are four paladin ranged attacks: Holy Shock (31-point Holy talent), Avenger's Shield (41-point Protection talent), Hammer of Wrath (only usable against targets under 20% health) and Exorcism. Enlightened Judgements increases the range of the Judgement spells by up to 30 yards.
Misc Information on Abilities
Spell Damage and Healing Coefficients
The majority of a holy or protection paladins damage comes from spells. Aside talents that can be used to increase holy damage output, the main way is to increase attack power and spell power. Paladin spells are unique in that they increase in effectiveness with both stats, rather than just one like most classes. The maximum amount of damage or healing increased is not 100%; it is based on a percentage of both attack power and spell power, as listed below:
Key: AP = attack power, SP = spell power
- 16% AP + 25% SP Judgement of Light/Justice/Wisdom
- Weapon Speed x (2.2% AP + 4.4% SP) One-handed Seal of Righteousness
- 20% AP + 32% SP% Judgement of Righteousness
- 36% weapon damage Seal of Command
- 19% weapon damage + 8% AP + 13% SP Judgement of Command
- 32% AP + 32% SP Consecration
- 43% SP Holy Shock
- 15% AP + 15% SP Hammer of Wrath
- 15% AP + 15% SP Exorcism
- 7% AP + 7% SP Holy Wrath
- 44.8% AP + 72% SP Holy Shield (5.6% AP + 9% SP per Block)
- 7% AP + 7% SP Avenger's Shield
- 12.5% AP + 6.5% SP Seal of Vengeance (2.5% AP + 1.3% SP per tick)(Add an additional 33% weapon damage per hit at 5 stacks)
- 14 AP + 22% SP + 10% per stack Judgement of Vengeance
- 50% AP Hand of Reckoning
- 166% Holy Light (healing only)
- 100 SP% Flash of Light (healing only)
- 81% SP Holy Shock
For example, 100 spellpower will increase each cast of Judgement of Righteousness by 32 damage, Holy Shock by 43 damage and Holy Light by 166 health.
Note: Lay on Hands is not listed here because amount healed depends on the Paladin's maximum health.
A paladin uses both types of critical hits: melee and spell. Each ability is listed under the appropriate critical rate mode. Abilities not listed here are ones that cannot have critical effects.
Melee Critical Percentage (x2 effect)
- Seal of Command
- Judgement of Command
- Hammer of Wrath
- Avenger's Shield
- Seal of Vengeance (the direct damage dealt when there are 5 stacks of Holy Vengeance on the target)
- Judgement of Vengeance (with at least 1 Holy Vengeance debuff on the target)
Spell Critical Percentage (x1.5 effect)
- Judgement of Righteousness
- Holy Shock
- Holy Wrath
- Holy Light (heal)
- Flash of Light (heal)
- Lay on Hands (heal)
- The talent Holy Power in the Holy tree will only increase the critical chance of spell-related abilities, and will not affect critical rates of abilities affected by melee critical percentages.
- Paladins can increase their Judgements' critical hit rate by up to 18% by investing Talent Points in Retribution's Fanaticism. This stacks with the paladin's critical chance.