Among every ability a rogue has at his disposal, Ambush is without a doubt the hardest hitting rogue ability. Ambush is learned at level 18, and becomes one of the dagger rogue's best friends.
- Note that damage listed is in addition to the innate 275%
weapon damage bonus that comes with using Ambush.
|Level||Damage||Damage with dagger|
- Remorseless Attacks gives your next Ambush a 20% or 40% increased chance to crit after killing an opponent that yields honor or experience. The improved crit chance lasts for 20 seconds. (Stacks with Improved Ambush)
- Opportunity increases the damage of your Ambush by 10 or 20%.
- Initiative gives you a 33, 66, or 100% chance to add an additional combo point to your target when using your Ambush ability.
- Improved Ambush increases the critical strike chance of Ambush by 25 or 50%. (Stacks with Remorseless Attacks)
- Master of Subtlety increases damage by 4, 7 or 10% during stealth and for 6 seconds afterward.
- Seal Fate 20, 40, 60, 80, or 100% chance to add an additional combo point when ambush crits.
- Shadowstep increases the damage of your next Ambush within 10 seconds by 20%.
- Slaughter from the Shadows decreases the energy cost of Ambush by 3, 6, 9, 12, or 15 energy.
- Shadow Dance allows you to perform Ambush out of stealth for 6 seconds.
- Glyph of Ambush increases its range by 5 yards.
Damage Calculation Formula
The basic damage formula for ambush
Opportunity = 1 + (0.1 * Opportunity Rank) Master of Subtlety = 1 + (0.03 * Master of Subtlety Rank + 0.01)
Modifier = (Attack Power / 14) * 1.7 Damage = [(Weapon Damage + Modifier) * 2.75 + Rank Bonus Damage] * Opportunity * Master of Subtlety
- Very effective in taking out cloth-wearing targets quickly.
- Ambush really begins to shine with the Improved Ambush Talent which, with 2 talent points spent, increases the critical strike chance of Ambush by 50%.
- Ambush is arguably preferable over Cheap Shot in PvP as an opener against mages, as a mage's Blink ability is usable while under a stun effect.
- A critical hit with an Ambush followed by an Improved Sinister Strike (or a well-timed Backstab) can put an enemy at a severe health disadvantage from the beginning of the fight, in addition to starting you off with 2-3 Combo Points.
- Use Distract in PvE if you are having trouble getting behind a target to line up an Ambush.
- The improved crit chance derived from the Remorseless Attacks talent stacks with that from the Improved Ambush talent, making it possible for a rogue with 10% or more base crit chance to obtain a 100% Ambush crit chance during the Remorseless effect.
- A quickly-executed "Ambush -> Vanish -> Ambush" combo attack can inflict severe damage on any single target with the correct enhancing talents.
- Template:Patch 4.0.1
- Patch 1.8.0 (patch date:2005-10-10): Now uses normalized attack power.
- Patch 1.4.0 (patch date:2005-05-05):
- Fixed a bug where combo points were not always being applied to the target when using Ambush.
- Ambush now properly increases the attack power contribution by the percent modifier.